Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Common to Mankind

I recently thought I should chalk 2017 up to a challenging year:

  • I developed an arthritic condition in my back that leaves me unable to walk periodically (3 episodes this year).
  • I experienced the worst case of poison ivy I have ever seen (lesions from my shoulders to my shins, continuing to develop for almost one month, while on steroids).
  • We had our first experience with bedbugs; took 53 days to completely eradicate them.
  • Dave found out that the job he loves (teaching anthropology and missions and intercultural communications at Moody Spokane) is coming to an end (the school will close at the end of the school year).
  • We are walking with some family members on that difficult part of life's road: the final stretch.
  • And the one that has pierced my heart: our oldest son decided that he doesn't believe in God and at the end of the summer he informed us that he does not want relationship with us.
The good news is that faith grows stronger when under stress, and my turning to the LORD has been a great source of comfort.  Also, I have practiced giving thanks for so many good things from this year:

  • Dave and I celebrated 25 years of marriage; we went to Hawaii for the first time!
  • Our three sons at home are a great source of joy.
  • One son participated in a mission trip independently.
  • Another son has so many good prospects for college and scholarships.
  • We have more family living nearby (in Spokane) than ever before.
  • We are part of a wonderful community of faith, and we enjoy some significant, long-lasting friendships.
  • Day by day, our every need is met.
Last night, we were meeting with a group of people who are very dear to us, and this verse came to my mind:  "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind.  And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.  But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." (1Cor. 10:13)

The temptation to think my year has been hard was looming in the forefront of my mind.  (It seems kind of silly in light of the international refugee situation, so please forgive me.)  I am a living testimony that God is faithful.  My small trials are not more than I can bear.  I can endure... with HOPE:
Though my body may be wasting away, my spirit is growing stronger.
Every earthly life has an end... and then the real life with Christ begins!
Truth stands the test of time... and the truth sets us free.
Every one of my challenges this year has been something common to man (illness is inevitable and frailty often comes after many decades, bugs invade homes, jobs come and go, children rebel against their parents... ).

God remains my source of hope.  He fills me with joy and peace.  I continue to trust Him.

Kimberly
Sometimes the adventure leaves you tired... and then He lifts up your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment