Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Love is in the Air


It is Valentine’s Day today.  The local shop that caters to westerners has recently imported different chocolates from at least five different countries.  So, I received a really nice supply of Hershey’s dark chocolate.  Yum!  And Jake and Josh created some fun treasure hunts, in order to find the chocolate treats.  I am blessed to walk this journey with these fun guys.
My work in the hospital has started off well.  I am working in Pediatrics.  We have so many interesting cases (post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis presenting with seizure, TB in many different parts of the body, neonatal syphilis, septicemia, HSP…to name a few, for the medically inclined).  I am working with a wonderful group of colleagues whom I greatly respect.  Yesterday, four of us who are G.P.s were discussing a case together, trying to decide if we should induce labor for a mom who was having some trouble.  The baby was believed to be 34 weeks along and looked like almost 2kg.  These statistics might make for a healthy delivery in the U.S., but with our limited resources, it felt like a tough decision, weighing the risks and benefits for both mom and baby.  We sure would have appreciated the input of an obstetrician.  Anyway, the decision was made to induce labor, and the picture below shows a beautiful, healthy baby girl, weighing 1800gms who came from that delivery.  The mom is also recovering nicely.  I felt so blessed just to see this little one this morning and to give thanks for the healthy baby and mother.


 
Ethan had his first tummy bug last night.  He got the full-on vomiting and diarrhea type.  Welcome to Nepal, Ethan.  I have made him the oral rehydration solution throughout the day today and he has dutifully consumed it, despite its unpleasant taste.  He seems to be recovering quite well.  You might want to join us in praying for strength to endure the normal gastrointestinal upsets (two of the boys also have tummy aches).
Well, the real joy in living here is taking advantage of the plethora of opportunities to show love to others.  There is so much suffering in this world; there is no end to the opportunities to relieve it, or experience it, with those who suffer.  I remember that Christ followers are known by their love.  I thank God that He has loved me so much that I have plenty of extra to share with others.  Thank you to those of you who also love me and my men.
J Kimberly

1 comment:

  1. Condolences to Ethan :) Hopefully he only gets it once! And I will be praying the rest of you stay healthy (as much as possible). So glad to see the photo of the little baby girl and here more stories! I miss you all so much and think of you and life in Tansen almost every day. Thanks for keeping those of us not in Nepal updated, and blessings on you as you continue to serve God and others in Nepal :)

    ReplyDelete